Lakeland Womens Basketball Overseas Trip

Sunday, May 11, 2014

It’s ALL good! 什麼都是好吃的

This was a pub we rested our tired legs at after long day of walking about shopping and sightseeing.
Today was an awesome day for the Muskies, our first full day here in China. It was clear to see that everyone has surpassed the jet lag after a full night’s rest and was ready for today’s new adventure in Shanghai.

We were able to get a quick bite to eat at a variety of street vendors to fuel up for our big day of sightseeing. I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised to see so many of us stepping outside of our comfort zone and trying new things. It’s ALL good, most of the time. Some of the unfamiliar foods we were brave enough to taste test outside the hotel included pot stickers, steam bun fillings and sweet sesame dumplings.
  
It was a short 40-minute bus ride to downtown where we visited Shanghai Old City, with the Yu Yuang Garden, Yu Garden Bazaar and Shanghai Old City God’s Temple as the center. Shanghai Old City is a very "genuine" Shanghai, where a more traditional architectural style is seen. It was quite the experience to see some of the beautiful history of China, shop with the locals and of course eat more authentic Chinese food.  Still no luck on finding my favorite Chinese appetizer; crab rangoon. I have a hunch I will only find those in America.

The Yu Yang Garden translates to “Happy Garden” and is located in the center of Shanghai’s Old City. This garden was built more than 400 years ago and is nearly 5 acres wide. Outside the beautiful Yu Garden is the Yu Garden Bazaar, or what I can describe best as a large street market. Yu Garden Bazaar, about 75,000 square meters total in size, is famous for its narrow and “lively” streets. The various shops and stores offer a little bit for everyone: trinkets, souvenirs, antiques and arts and crafts. Some of us used our newly found bargaining skills here with the local vendors, or at least attempted to. In my case, I failed miserably with my first two attempts. But, it’s ALL good.  I got better by the end of the day!

Many of us took full advantage of the food vendors. It reminded me much of the Wisconsin State Fair, where you keep walking around all day just so you can keep eating all day. “Coming in to it, I didn’t expect to enjoy the food as much as I am. I actually thought I was going to lose like 20 lbs. here. But, I love the food so much; I think I might gain 20!” sophomore Lexie Greenheck joked earlier today on the streets of Yu Garden Bazaar.
  
I was able to witness first hand Lexie trying some sushi she picked out at a restaurant near Yu Yuang Garden. She offered to share with me, but I had to decline. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

One of my favorite parts of the Shanghai Old City was the “nine-zig-zag bridge”. It is said to bring good luck to anyone who crosses. The only member of our group that did not cross the bridge was our student-assistant coach, Matt Armstrong. So we all know who to blame if we lose tomorrow.  It’s ALL good. (I walked through twice-hopefully that will make up for him!)

Team standing outside of Yu Yuang Garden by the building
that says "Lakeland" in Chinese.
After leaving Shanghai Old City, we had a walking tour on the narrow alley streets of Tianzifang. This neighborhood is known for small craft stores, trendy art studios, coffee shops and restaurants.  A little less crowded than the last market, yet still very crowded.   Here, at Tianzifang, is where I had my first successful bargain for a bronze replica of an ancient Buddha head. I was so very proud of myself since our SFU student-assistant host, Cynthia, was even impressed by how much I got the salesman down in price. It’s ALL good.

Here is what’s next for the Muskies…class bright and early tomorrow morning at SFU and the basketball game in the afternoon. (Unfortunately, we were unable to get the game live-streamed, but hopefully we can upload film later so you can still watch us compete from home).

Thank you all for following our China tour blog, we hope you all are enjoying hearing what we are up to.  We will continue to update all of our friends and family back home every day or at least every other day.

Best to you,
Coach Vande

2 comments :

  1. I wondered how Lex would handle the food, lol, glad it's going well! Uncle Mike actually tried Sushi for the first time yesterday too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pot stickers?? I want to some someone branching out with some live octopus or cow organs from a street vendor! Mmm! :)

    ReplyDelete